From site: Welcome to Air Pollution: What’s the Solution? an educational project for students, grades 6 – 12, that uses online real time data to guide student discovery of the science behind the causes and effects of outdoor air pollution.
Through this project, students will focus on outdoor air pollution; what it is, what factors contribute to its formation and the health effects from breathing polluted air. Students will use data and animated maps from the Internet and monitor for the presence of air pollution. Students are challenged to think critically and creatively about the problems surrounding air pollution.By the end of this project, students will be able to:
- Describe what air pollutants are, when and how outdoor air pollution is formed, and what the health effects are from breathing polluted air.
- Read the Environmental Protection Agency’s Air Quality Index (AQI) chart, record weather data, and determine the presence of air pollutants.
- Create graphs to help visualize or recognize trends.
- Predict when ground level ozone may occur.
- Use knowledge gained to create awareness about air pollution and the associated health effects.